National Origin Discrimination Lawyer
Serving Minneapolis / St. Paul and Surrounding Areas
If your employer makes decisions like hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, benefits, training, or other conditions of your job based on your country of origin – you may have a discrimination claim. This type of discrimination in the workplace can be subtle or overt. Both federal and state law prohibit employers from discriminating against U.S. citizens and nationals, permanent residents, temporary residents, refugees, and persons with asylum. An employer may not base employment decisions on a person’s birthplace, first or last name, ancestry, culture, accent, or association with an ethnic group.
It is also illegal to harass a person because of where he or she is from. Harassment can include offensive or derogatory comments or jokes about a person’s race or accent. Even if the discrimination is difficult to pinpoint to one experience, persistent and repeated subtle behavior can be proven to show illegal discriminatory practices. Below are examples that employers are prohibited from doing:
- Failing or refusing to hire an employee based on the employee’s accent or nationality;
- Firing or disciplining an employee because of the employee’s accent or nationality;
- Paying an employee less or providing them fewer benefits on account of the employee’s accent or nationality;
- Failing to provide benefits, promotions, or opportunities, to an employee because of the employee’s accent or nationality; and
- Improperly classifying or segregating employees or applicants based on their accent or nationality.
If you think you’ve been subjected to discrimination based on your national origin or ethnicity, you need an experienced employment attorney on your side. Protect your rights and contact the Joseph A. Larson Law Firm PLLC for a consultation today.
To schedule a free analysis of your claim, call (612) 618-8361.