Race Discrimination Lawyer
Serving Minneapolis / St. Paul and Surrounding Areas
Race discrimination occurs far too often in many of today’s workplaces. Racial, ethnic, or national origin discrimination can rear its ugly head in many forms. It can be subtle or overt. The law prohibits employers from discriminating against U.S. citizens and nationals, permanent residents, temporary residents, refugees, and persons with asylum. An employer may not base employment decisions on an employee’s birthplace, ancestry, culture, or accent.
Both federal and state law forbid race and national origin discrimination in aspects of employment such as hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, benefits, or other conditions of employment.
It is also illegal to harass a person because of their race. Harassment can include offensive or derogatory comments or jokes about a person’s race. Even if the discrimination is difficult to pinpoint to one experience, persistent and repeated subtle behavior can be proven to show illegal discriminatory practices. Below are examples that employers are prohibited from doing:
- Failing or refusing to hire an employee based on their race;
- Firing or disciplining an employee because of their race;
- Paying an employee less or providing them fewer benefits on account of their race;
- Failing to provide benefits, promotions, or opportunities, to an employee because of their race; and
- Improperly classifying or segregating employees or applicants by race.
If you think you’ve been subjected to race discrimination, you need an experienced employment attorney on your side. Protect your rights and contact the Joseph A. Larson Law Firm PLLC for a consultation today.
To schedule a free analysis of your claim, call (612) 206-3704.